Spearmint Oil (Mentha spicata)
Spearmint essential oil is extracted from the leaves of Mentha spicata. Spearmint is native to Europe and Asia and has been naturalized in North America and parts of Africa.
Its aroma is very similar to that of peppermint but genter and sweeter. It contains less menthol than peppermint, but it is rich in limonene, dihydrocarvone, and cineol.
- Botanical Name : Mentha spicata
- Extraction : Steam Distillation
- Bottle : Amber glass bottle
The difference between spearmint oil and peppermint oil
Peppermint oil is naturally high in menthol and menthone, giving it a cooling sensation on the skin and a sinus opening effect. Spearmint essential oil is warming and soothing due to its high natural camphor concentration. Spearmint oil has a fresh minty smell reminiscent of Peppermint that is sweeter and softer.
Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
Spearmint Essential Oil is beneficial to soothe ailments such as skin problems, headaches, nausea, vomiting, respiratory issues, and cold symptoms.
- Spearmint contains a large number of antioxidant compounds. Antioxidants are natural chemical compounds found in plants that helps stabilize harmful free radicals, which are compounds that can damage cells and cause chronic disease.
Spearmint Essential Oil reduces the appearance of wrinkles and skin imperfections. It helps reveal a new layer of skin, thus increasing skin’s resilience and elasticity.
For skin use, always dilute spearmint oil with a carrier oil to avoid skin sensitivities.
- Spearmint relaxes muscles and intestines of abdominal region that prevents the formation of gases in intestines and stomach.
Dilute a few drops of spearmint oil with a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil and gently massage into the abdomen. Or diffuse it and inhale its digestive system-promoting benefits.
- Spearmint oil has a relaxing, sedative effect on the body. To promote relaxation and ease away muscle soreness, just add a few drops of Spearmint to massage oils.
All essential oils are for external use only.
Store in a cool, dark place.
Use with caution on the skin - may be irritating on hypersensitive or damaged skin.
Keep out of reach of children and pets.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, seek professional advice.
Spearmint Essential Oil - Mentha spicata